Thoughts:

"There is no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza."

Past Thoughts

Wednesday 11 January 2012

Poor slob without a name!


Oh please, don't judge me, don't you dare judge me because I know every single person in the world has at least once in their lives felt the same way after watching movies like Breakfast at Tiffany's! That’s actually not an accurate pictorial; I don’t really put chips in a bowl, we don’t really have a couch like that, our telly doesn’t actually have antennas on it and I don’t know how to put my hair up in a chignon.


I don't know how many times I've heard Moon River, be it the original or alternate versions, it’s like my go to song. I have to admit though that it was only recently that I saw Breakfast at Tiffany's. It really is a stylish movie, and though I cannot even begin to fathom how someone who makes $50 in the powder room can afford multiple Givenchy gowns and dresses, the story is intriguing. Hey, anything that still keeps you talking after 50 years is nothing short of intriguing right? I remember someone telling me, I think it was my sister, that Truman Capote originally envisioned Marilyn Monroe as Holly Golightly but it didn't happen that way. We thought how different things would have been if she did take the role, would the world even know of the little black dress? Because it was also said that Givenchy (the man, the ACTUAL man!) designed Holly's wardrobe because he was a close friend of Audrey Hepburn.


Ok I think I've strayed from my original point, the point is here's the point, Holly Golightly IS Marilyn Monroe in so many ways do you not think so? Aren't they both women who were corrupted by the world of super rats that all we want to do at the end of the day is just hold them like they were children and tell them that everything is going to be alright? I certainly see them that way and Paul Varjak even expresses that very thought in the movie!




“Is she or isn’t she?”


Ah that is the question! Holly Golightly was a big phony, she was this glamorous persona who would marry into money in a heartbeat but really I think she was a confused little girl (wasn’t she supposed to be 19?) who feels that she doesn’t deserve a man who truly loves her even though that very man was the only person who saw the scared girl under the mask. Marilyn Monroe was the real embodiment of the character. She was a goddess whom everyone loved and desired even though we have no idea what kind of person she truly was, how deep she was, how emotionally burdened she was. For majority of the world, then and now, she was a bombshell nothing more, nothing less.


Now, I shouldn’t even say any of this because I’ve only seen like one biography on her but when I was little and we watched Some Like it Hot, I felt like there probably was some truth in the character she played and the real her. Who knows right? She was an enigma and a mystery. And I think some would agree with me when I say that Paul Varjak resembles Joe Dimaggio. 


Which brings me to my next train of thought, I saw Blue Valentine recently. And the times when my friend and I weren’t freaking out over the very graphic sex scenes while my grandma was in the room and the remote was nowhere to be found (seriously, the one time I wanted my family to not be there, they were all constantly walking in and out of the room) I was so taken aback by the brutal honesty of the story. You know? It wasn’t one of those movies that made you go hang on a sec and want to rewind immediately, it was one of those movies that reflected life so well that it gave you the chills. How one finds love and loses love in an instant.


Why did I bring this movie up I hear you say? Why because Blue Valentine just about messed up every other romantic movies I saw after it. I re-watched Breakfast at Tiffany’s and was heartbroken at the end, not from the fact that a Givenchy trench was being rained on, but because if Dean and Cyndi had no chance then neither would Holly and Paul. It was as though when the credits rolled I saw flashes of how the future looked for the latter two and it was not pretty. I mean as a romance, Breakfast at Tiffany’s was wonderful but as a reality it was one that would be overshadowed by grim tones. Also, Michelle Williams (who was pretty brilliant there) plays Marilyn Monroe in My Week with Marilyn, what is with all these connections??


Notice how I didn’t comment on Mickey Rooney? Well up until now anyway.. Let’s not even go there.  Let’s bury it where no one will ever dig it up and see.


---
There is roughly 800 words in this post, Do you know how many words is in the paper I had to write for school yesterday? I could only concoct 600. What the hell is wrong with me???

No comments: