Thoughts:

"There is no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza."

Past Thoughts

Thursday 8 July 2010

Driving 101

Gray Area: Clutch by Yours Truly

Yes I'm going to do a pun there and then!

So guess who's learning how to drive? I don't get why every single teenager in the world is so eager on driving. It's tiring, it needs full concentration, lives will be on the line, might as well be a doctor! I don't want to drive, but dad kept saying "everyone can do it, you should be able to as well" but you know what else everyone can do dad? Stab people with knives, that doesn't mean that I suddenly have to start stabbing people.. He's been pushing me to learn since forever but everytime I managed to bail by saying I had things to do. Then he found out that 'things' is falling asleep on the couch while Desperate Housewives was on and I finally gave in (more like he dragged my sorry arse to the driver's seat).

The thing is, he's usually never back before 6 in the afternoon so when I agreed, I thought it would start on weekends but nooo he insisted that we started right that time. The sun had already set and I could barely see 3 meters in front of me. Who thinks it's a great idea for someone who has never been on a driver's seat before to start learning during night time? I'm surprised we didn't go when there's snow (I'll bet the only reason we didn't is because it doesn't snow in the pacific) and the snow tires are no where to be found.. And it was also a surprise that there were heaps of people there, also learning to drive I think, when that street is normally pretty empty. The whole time I was coming up with defense arguments for when I have to go to court should I get arrested for hit and run: 'I was just learning how to drive so all the blame should fall on the person who was in charge, in which case it's my dad', 'I was abducted and forced to do it against my will' (which won't be a complete lie), 'bitches had it coming'.

If that wasn't distracting enough, I had the one thing that could be worse than a backseat driver, 2 backseat drivers. My sister just happened to be there tagging along screaming "Enraha! Enraha!" and "peripheral vision!" what the hell does that even mean? I'm not a freaking owl! That and dad's constant "release the clutch sloooowly!" and "turn! turn! TURN!!!! and "two and ten!" was harder to drown out than I expected but I kept singing Besame Mucho as loud as I could in my head.

I literally had to beg for hours until we could go home and that was after I almost hit this other car in front of us because I didn't know how to brake yet and then dad's all like "ok, you're probably tired, we should go home". By which point my feet were cramped and my left hand was stuck in a claw-like position, I don't even want to say what my mental state was like. It's horrible, I know that parents have to shove their youngins off the nest so they can learn how to fly, but I'm not a bird, I have many other means of transportation like walking or taking the bus, options which are absolutely fine by my standards.

I feel like by the end of this month, I would have caused more road related accidents than moose.

No comments: