Thoughts:

"There is no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza."

Past Thoughts

Wednesday 7 July 2010

In the Midst of This Depressing Economy, a Dream Emerges

It's Haute Couture week, Jean Paul Gaultier was showing yesterday, of course I'd post something about it!

Despite people saying how tame and lacking in wow-ness the collection was, I absolutely adored it, of course I have not been following his works for too long so I have no idea just how wild things are normally, I quite liked it 'tamed'. It gave me that giddiness schoolgirls get when the boy in the black leather jacket, rolled up jeans, white tee-shirt and hair greased up to the max (no I have not been watching Grease recently, but Olivia Newton John was on glee last night, superb finale by the way!) walked by and gave her a glance, saying "sup?" oh how I wish to have lived during those eras where everybody wasn't so apathetic and petty...

Anyway, the first thing I noticed was the head wear (I don't know if you can see it clearly form the pictures above because it's black on black.. pretty silly of me to choose that picture I suppose), it was not quite a turban, it was not quite a bow but it resembled what I think would have been their lovechild and I said to myself, 'I want to wear that on the first day of school' nothing like a head turning piece to make a first impression! Then the clean, sophisticated cuts of the garments that made me wish I had the kind of money to wear them. But just the overall combination of fishnet stockings, the drags, the makeup, the coats and everything screamed out Parisienne Chic (and some pieces rather burlesque...) to me. Of course the fact that I saw old Hollywood glamour made me love it even more.

I just wish I could have seen the actual show, I might die from anxiety attacks I never knew I had but one can't afford to be too picky, or at least now I cannot wait until they show it on telly! Apparently the bride at the end played a violin to herself and Dita Von Teese came and brought the house (and her outfit) down. That's what I think Haute Couture should be about, over the top presentations of gorgeous clothing that makes us dream of this beautiful realm we once imagined when we were kids. Especially with the bitter truth we have to face every day, with the oil spill and wars and poverty we all need our happy place and despite the current condition, Jean Paul Gaultier's show has given me exactly that.

---
All images courtesy of style.com (also where you can see the full collection)

No comments: