Thoughts:

"There is no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza."

Past Thoughts

Friday 8 January 2010

Thinking Inside The Box

I think the base of a democratic society is the freedom of speech and the ability to tolerate different minds and points of views as it is, not discriminating and stuff. How surprised I was to read in the papers that the government has banned numerous books from being released to the public. I'm pretty sure they have their reasons, of course individual liberty shouldn't be placed over the greater good so if the censor people think it wise to ban those books because it may cause offense then so be it. The thing is, after hearing months ago that they have also banned the movie Balibo about the incident in Timor Leste -which seems to reveal a different story than what the government had released I have doubts over their judgment.

Or maybe, the definition of liberty should be revised? Maybe liberty is something given to us within the range of acceptance by the state and not limitless like what I believed it to be. Obviously I haven't read any of the books that are banned, they probably do talk about tabooed things that is seen to have the power to cause chaos but seriously, I don't think they should be banned. I think each and every person should have the right and opportunity to decide what they want to believe, let us think and argue with our conscience rather than have to eat up everything the government decides is best for us. I know like parents, they are just trying to protect us but sometimes, letting us roam around the field free lets us grow.

The arts should never be censored, if their means of speaking out to the world about their opinions are gone, who is anyone anymore?

On a lighter note, I think I'm finally going to read Farenheit 451 now.. If you're reading this Mita, shut up ya scab! (still under the influence of rambow)

No comments: