Thoughts:

"There is no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza."

Past Thoughts

Monday 22 November 2010

Sequels? More like... I don't know what pun to use

I saw Clueless the other day and it's pretty funny but I still think Mean Girls is better (high school based movies, no matter how irrelevant shall always be compared to another!) then I remembered reading that they were making a Mean Girls 2. Why? Why do people do that? But to ask that may be similar to why we live or why mass murder exist. Nobody knows but it happens.

There are many ways a sequel that's made after so many years to its prequel can go. It can be absolutely amazing and make people cry like Toy Story, or it can leave us crying in different context like Rush Hour did or it could just be there for reasons we really don't know, waiting for another movie to just cover its failure like Transformers. To be frank, I still don't know why they're there. Or it could go straight to DVD, only to be encountered upon by some hyped up kid in a supermarket who's trying to escape the grocery duties her parents have left her months after, this is precisely what will happen to Mean Girls 2.

The worst part would be the fact that the first movie was so brilliant, it would cast a huuuuuge shadow over its sequel. So Hollywood film makers, hear my plea: stop making shit sequel to beloved movies for reasons unclear to mankind. Whether it be to feed your personal creative egos or to milk some cow that's already dried up, just stop it! Stop killing our favourite movies with awful memories.

But who knows, it all comes down to the writing, the old writers will not be involved so... wild card. But definitely something I won't want to watch unless I'm sick and it's on Cinemax and nothing else is on. I would rather keep Mean Girls a memory of a stellar movie with an ending I hoped wasn't.

No comments: