Thoughts:

"There is no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza."

Past Thoughts

Monday 16 May 2011

O Captain, My Captain!


I'm beginning to see the silver lining of the lack of new Hollywood movies because like a heavy weight smoker who replaces his fag with a stick of carrot, I went back to good ol' television to watch my movies. It doesn't cost as much and at times I get to see great classic that could be very difficult to see otherwise. Though more often they would air things like The Brady Bunch movie, which made me a little suicidal to be quite honest, but sometimes there are the rare gems like Dracula (which scares the shit out of me but still, interesting..), Ferris Bueller's Day Out or the last movie I saw: Dead Poets Society. The movie is like 30 years old so it was weird seeing familiar faces but not recognising who they are, like Ethan Hawkes and the guy who plays Dr. Wilson in House because they were crazy young! Passable as high school seniors young!

It's a wonderful story and I just realised how it probably did screw up a whole generation of teachers. The teachers (well, at least from my personal experience) who encourage their students' individuality and critical thinking are usually the younger generation of teachers whom I suspect saw this movie and were inspired by John Keating's teaching ways. Maybe that's why I never really enjoyed language and literature based classes, because they concentrate so much on the science and mechanisms of writing that they forget to teach us about finding ourselves in literature and art. To suck on the marrows.

Watch it if you haven't!

No comments: